Thursday, November 5, 2009

Scrubs

Today in class, we were talking about The Gospel According to John. Tonight I was cleaning my room with Scrubs playing on my TV. It was the Christmas episode, and as I was peeling dirty clothes from the floor, I was distracted by Turk saying, "lovest thou me, then feed my sheep." He goes on with the metaphor. "We are not only gonna feed his sheep, but we gonna clothe them. And we gonna bathe them. And we gonna cut 'em open, and then we gonna stitch 'em right back together."
Turk obviously recognizes that Jesus isn't asking Peter to look over ovine nutrition for Him.
After John, the lecture moved to the death of Socrates. As Socrates dies, he turns to Crito and says, "we owe a cock to Asclepius." The dying man here also employs figurative language. Crito isn't to pay off some bookie. Asclepius is the practitioner of medicine in Greek mythology.
I thought it especially interesting that not only did television quote the same Biblical passage as lecture did today, but that the line was delivered by a surgeon, a human counterpart to Asclepius.
Following these topics, Professor Sexson told us the idea of realized eschatology. He told us that all there is to look for in paradise can be found in Lit 240. To me, it seems that anything else certainly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment